Tips for the College-Bound

While they’re soaring to new heights, don’t forget about proper coverage. Sending a child off to college is a big change. It’s a good idea to update your insurance policies so you have the correct coverage in case of unexpected accidents or theft. If you have a student heading away to school, below are a few tips to help you get the most out of your coverage.

Homeowner’s Insurance (varies by state)

  • Personal Property: Most homeowners policies will cover personal property for up to 10% of your total policy while your child is residing at school (a $100,000 policy equals $10,000 in coverage). Not all types of damage are covered, so read your policy carefully. Some items, such as jewelry or expensive electronics, require special coverage. Renter’s insurance is strongly recommended.
  • Liability Coverage: General damage to a dorm room or apartment is not usually covered.
  • Documentation: Creating an inventory of the items taken to school is wise. Use photographs and keep receipts.

Auto Insurance (varies by state)

  • Car Stays Home: Keep your child listed on your auto policy if they are a) still using your address as their primary address and b) will still drive your car while at home on school breaks.
  • Car at School: Make sure to notify us if your child will be taking a car away to school. In most cases, if the car is registered to you and listed on your policy, it will be covered.
  • Driving a Friend’s Car: Students are generally covered if they are listed on their parents’ policy and are not regularly using the vehicle.
  • Discounts: A full-time student meeting certain academic requirements can qualify for a good student discount. Student discounts may also be available. Drivers under 21 who have completed driver’s education may also get a discount.

Before your child leaves for school, call Howard Hanna Insurance at 412-696-0310 or email We can walk you through the steps to ensure you have the right coverage!

Leave a Reply