A real estate agent is like a fairy godparent with a cell phone – no joke. Real estate agents are qualified and organized individuals who will take care of you as you buy a home. And their experience and training allow them to help you deal with all the intricacies of buying a home. From determining which types of home styles you like best to supporting you when an offer is rejected, an agent’s help is invaluable.
To get the most out of your working relationship with a real estate agent, you’ll want to find the perfect one to work with. That means finding an agent who understands you and is ready to communicate and work with you according to your goals and preferences. And the sooner you find the right agent, the better, since you’ll gain their expertise regarding market conditions.
Not sure how to do that? The following information will help you start your search!
Know What You Need
Real estate agents need to know your preferences, expectations, and more as you prepare to buy a home. That means it’s up to you to know what you need and to tell an agent what you’re looking for. But even if you don’t know exactly what you need just yet, asking the right questions will help you find the perfect agent to help you figure everything out.
With that in mind, be sure to think about things like:
- How often would you like to talk to your agent? (Weekly? Daily?)
- How do you want your agent to communicate with you? (Do you prefer phone calls, emails, texting, or something else?)
- Is there a timeframe or deadline for your homebuying decision?
- Based on how an agent responds to these questions, you can decide if they’ll be easy to work with, or if you need to keep looking for your true real estate partner.
Conduct Some Interviews
Before you hire a real estate agent to work with you, consider interviewing them! Interviewing agents before fully immersing yourself in the homebuying process will give you the chance to make your expectations clear without the pressure to make a big purchase looming over your head. It will also allow you to evaluate whether or not you’ve found the perfect person for the job of bringing you home.
To make sure you’re fully comfortable with a particular agent, ask them some questions in an environment that will help you process and sort through the information you need. That may be in a coffee shop, on the phone – anywhere that facilitates a good conversation!
Questions worth asking include:
- Have you worked with someone in my situation before? (For example: first-time homebuyers, condo buyers, etc.)
- What makes you different from other real estate professionals?
- What are your communication preferences? Do you text, email, etc.?
- Who can go through the process with me? Parents, kids?
- How well do you know the neighborhoods I’m interested in?
- How long have you been licensed? (If not long: Who is your team, broker, or mentor?)
- What training and education do you have?
- What technology tools do you have to help me buy a home?
- What is your strategy for helping me buy the perfect home?
- Will you assist me in contacting other service providers I will need in this process?
Work With Your Agent
Once you have selected the real estate agent for the job, you’re ready to begin working with them. With their understanding of the financial and practical details that go into buying a home, your agent will be able to assist you through this delicate and ever-changing process. And with their support, you’ll be able to find and purchase your dream home with confidence!
Looking for the right real estate agent to guide you through your own home-hunting process? Let us help you find a great, experienced, knowledgeable agent! Our Howard Hanna agents are equipped to help you succeed. We continuously offer advanced training and exclusive technology designed to help agents to help you find the home of your dreams. And, we consistently earn the real estate industry’s highest ratings for customer service.
We’re ready to help you find your dream home – just visit our website to find your dream agent at any time!
Are you looking for more information about shopping for and purchasing a home? Do you need more in-depth information about the process and steps to take? Howard Hanna is here for you! We’ve written a Buyer’s Guide to help you navigate home shopping in 2020, complete with worksheets and helpful hints to get you into the home of your dreams. Click here to get your free guide.
[…] A real estate agent is like a fairy godparent with a cell phone – no joke. Real estate agents are qualified and organized individuals who will take care of you as you buy a home. And their experience and training… Read more › […]